Happy Holidays

It’s that time of year again! When celebrating this festive season with your furry family members, we’d like to remind you of a few safety tips to keep in mind to ensure a happy and safe holiday for all.  

-The holiday feast: Many holiday treats contain ingredients that are toxic to pets. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, and the artificial sweetener Xylitol are all poisonous. Fatty meats, spicy foods, and other meal scraps can cause GI upset and pancreatitis.

-Deck the halls: Holiday decorations may look magical, but some can also be hazardous to pets. Make sure the Christmas tree is secured tightly so it cannot topple over when pets investigate its branches.  Avoid small ornaments and tinsel, as these can cause dangerous foreign bodies if ingested. Also keep any strings of lights or cords out of reach of pets, as they can cause electrocution if chewed. Plants like holly, mistletoe, and poinsettias are also toxic if ingested, so it’s best to avoid these if possible. 

-Stressful sounds: Holiday noises and events can be stressful for pets. Having guests in the house is a major change to the pet’s environment, and loud sounds such as New Year’s fireworks and noisemakers can be terrifying. Make sure pets have a safe place to hide in a quiet area, complete with food, water, toys, and a comfy bed/crate.

Happy holidays from all of us at Granite City Pet Hospital! 

 

Sources and photo credits: ASPCA, http://shoppeterboroughnh.com      


Comments